January 19, 2010

If only to hold you



Dear Brooklyn,

Right now you are lying in your crib crying. Your dad has insisted that we should let you get use to falling asleep in your bed. This way we can just put you in your crib and you will fall asleep on your own. He has good intentions.

I can barely stand it.

Don't worry, this will be the first and last time.

Every few minutes I sneak into your room and place your pacifier in your mouth and for a minute you calm down, but by the time I am at your door you start to sob again.

Maybe this experience is more for me then for you. I will not take for granted the opportunity I have to rock you to sleep, to softly place you in your crib and know that you are happily sleeping before I retire to my own bed.

There. One last extra long trip to your room and you softly drifted to sleep with my hands on your face. You just needed to know that I still love you and that you are not alone.

Now sleep tight my little one.

Mommy is here.

Always.

Sincerely, Lori