May 31, 2015


Dear Kurt,

This was girls weekend. 

You know, the weekend where I leave the girls in your capable hands and hit the road with my girl friends for a couple days. 

So, Friday afternoon I kissed you all goodbye and hopped in Cindy's car and off we went. But not far. Just to west side of Tucson to a nice place called Starr Pass. It's pretty much a nice hotel with a ton of amenities.

It was no time at all before us girls were lounging in some inner tubes floating around and around the lazy river with the sun beating down on us. 

We spent the next few hours floating and talking and sun bathing and lounging. It was soooo nice. 

Once our stomachs started growling a little we scoped out our dining options. We settled for dinner on the terrace with a great view of the city while the sun slowly set on our evening.

While we waited for our food to arrive we ran out to the lawn where a hotel employee had a stack of hula hoops and some mad hula hooping skills. We did our best to keep up with him while trying not to look like complete fools. 

After a great dinner we decided to hit the hot tub before it closed for the night. When we got there we were putting our stuff out on the lounge chairs when we got a glimpse of something over the short wall that lead to the golf course. There we saw a large pack of havalenas. There had to be about 20 of them.  And then they kept coming. Big ones followed by little baby ones. It was so cool. 

When we got cozied up in the hot tub another group of ladies came by and joined us. They ended being one of my favorite parts of the whole trip. They were out on their own girls trip for one of their birthdays and they were a hoot. We found out that we were all religious and at one point a couple of them serenaded us with their beautiful voices. We serenaded them with our not-so-amazing voices and belted out a good rendition of "Happy Birthday". We stayed and chatted and laughed with them till we were kicked out of the hot tub. I wish you were there to meet these ladies. You would have gotten a kick out of them. 

Back in our rooms were jumped on the beds and showered and painted nails and talked into the night about anything and everything. When our eyelids drooped and chatter slowed we made our way to bed and quickly fell asleep.

I woke up earlier then I hoped. Around 7:20. I guess having kids wake up before 6:30 every morning puts a damper on your thoughts of sleeping in. Luckily Jenn was also plagued by her own early risers so we snuck out of our room and explored the hotel shops and breakfast menus and even inquired about a couples massage. The soonest appointment was hours away so we settled for an all you can eat breakfast buffet at the restaurant where the other girls joined us. 

After I stuffed myself with perfectly cooked bacon, pastries, fruit, French toast, and a bite of my very first eggs Benedict, we headed back upstairs to pack our stuff and slip back into our swimsuits.

We checked out and stuck our stuff in Cindy's car and then headed back to the lazy river to continue our lounging and relaxing. After a few hours of hanging and eating nachos poolside we changed our clothes and headed out to find somewhere to eat dinner.

We ended up at the Cheesecakd Factory and filled up on appetizers and cheesecake. After that we finished off the weekend with Pitch Perfect 2 and a bucket of popcorn at the theater.

And that concluded my getaway weekend. It was such a nice retreat. A needed recharge to my batteries. Thanks for that and taking good care of our girls while I was gone.

I love you,

Sincerely, Lori