January 6, 2011

BACK TO SCHOOL


Dear Kurt,

Another semester has begun.

Last night before you went to sleep you told me that you will probably be waking up all night thinking it is time to get ready for school.

That didn't end up being the problem.

You didn't get much sleep for a couple other reasons.

First I tossed and turned for a while trying to get to sleep. This is normal and you usually sleep right through this but for some reason it made you toss and turn as well.

Next, was my coughing fit that wouldn't stop. You got me some cough drops and water but I it only helped a little.

At that point you went to sleep on the couch.

Next Brooklyn woke up crying. I looked at your empty side of the bed and remembering that you hadn't kissed me goodbye yet I figured you must be up getting ready and that you would get her back to bed.

The crying didn't stop. It woke me up enough to realize that you had gone to sleep on the couch because of my coughing. I finally looked at the clock and realized it was 2 am. Oops. Sorry.

I put Brooklyn down and 20 minutes later she woke back up. I put her back down but she had other ideas. She cried for a while. Not the sleepy, whimpering cry, but the "there is no way in heck I'm going back to sleep" cry.

Just great...

I finally realized she wasn't kidding and took her out to the living room and sent you back to our bed. I thought a little cuddling would get her to sleep. She thought differently.

She spent the next hour showing me her belly button, ears, hair and nose. Then she got down to play. That is when I thought, "Oh no. This is not becoming a habit. Night time is for sleeping!"

Finally I got her back to bed and crawled back into bed with you.

After about an hour of tossing and turning myself and therefore keeping you up, it was 4:30.

Which left you 2 hours of sleep.

That's enough to think straight on your first day back to school, right?

I guess we will see.

Just in case you forgot (I know how grumpy you get in the middle of the night) I still love you. A lot.

Sincerely, Lori